Yes, a custom cabinet remodel increases the value of your home.
According to a recent study, 80% of homebuyers listed the kitchen in their top three most important spaces. Cabinets are usually the first thing homebuyers see (and remember) when looking at a kitchen or bathroom. Not only can an updated kitchen help your house stand out to prospective buyers, but high-end finishes and thoughtful upgrades can also help you sell faster and for more money.
To help you decide whether you should install custom cabinets, we’ll go over:
- What goes into a cabinet remodel
- Remodel costs vs. return on investment
- How to upgrade cabinets without remodeling
Need a quote to remodel your cabinets? Contact us online or call 480-641-9611 and one of our Phoenix cabinet experts will give you a free in-home or virtual consultation, followed by a quote that same day.
What goes into a custom cabinet remodel
With a cabinet remodel, you’ll get a brand new set of cabinets completely customized to your needs, budget, and style.
Most custom cabinet remodels follow some type of the process below:
- A professional will discuss the modifications and layout you want.
- Your new cabinet boxes, doors, and drawer fronts are built to your specifications.
- The finish of your choice is applied to the cabinets.
- Cabinet experts install custom cabinets, along with any upgraded hardware.
Wondering how much you can expect to pay for custom cabinets? We’ll break it down for you.
Remodel cost vs. return on investment
To help you decide whether the cost of custom cabinets is worth the return on investment (ROI), we’ll go over the average for both in Arizona.
Cost of custom cabinets
Custom kitchen cabinets can cost anywhere between $10,000 and $50,000, while custom bathroom cabinets can cost between $1,500 and $9,000+.
Your custom cabinets cost will increase with:
- The number and size of cabinets. This may be obvious, but the size of your cabinetry and the number of cabinets you have play the biggest role in your custom cabinet remodel cost. The job will cost more if you choose taller cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling or want additional cabinets for more storage.
- Better quality cabinet materials. You’ll pay more for hardwood cabinets than you will for ones made of engineered wood, but solid wood cabinets will last significantly longer and are much more durable. And high-quality cabinet finishes will take a lot longer to chip, crack or peel than cheap cabinet finishes will.
- Cabinet hardware upgrades. Paying for features like soft-close tracks and hinges, high-quality cabinet pulls, or custom racks and shelves will cost more upfront but will look better and last longer—making them worth the additional investment.
Now that you know how much you can expect to pay for custom cabinets, let’s go over how much you can expect to get back when selling your home.
ROI of custom cabinets
According to Remodeling magazine’s 2021 Cost vs. Value Report, the ROI (or the amount you can expect to get back) of a significant upscale remodel—which includes custom cabinets—for a:
- Bathroom is 53.6% in Arizona
- Kitchen is 52.3% in Arizona
That means, for custom kitchen cabinets, you can expect to get back roughly 52% of your investment when you go to sell your home.
But keep in mind that your exact return will depend on a variety of factors, including:
- Your home’s location. Downtown homes may see a higher ROI than ones in the suburbs.
- Materials used in the cabinet remodel. As we mentioned, better quality materials (like solid hardwood) will have a higher return than cheaper cabinet materials.
- Whether the remodel is tax-deductible. If it is, you can save money on your remodel, but not until you sell your home.
Not sure you can foot the bill for a complete cabinet remodel? You can upgrade your cabinets in other ways to add to your home’s value.
How to upgrade cabinets without remodeling
If you don’t have to budget for a complete cabinet remodel, you can upgrade your kitchen or bathroom cabinets with a:
- Cabinet refinishing: With cabinet refinishing, a professional will remove your existing cabinet finish and replace it with the finish of your choice.
- Cabinet refacing: A refacing includes everything in a refinishing, plus brand new cabinet doors and drawers. Like a cabinet remodel, refacing cabinets will add value to your home.
Ready to increase your home’s value with custom cabinets?
Schedule an appointment online or call us at 480-641-9611 for a no-obligation quote for custom bathroom or kitchen cabinets. One of our Phoenix cabinet experts will work with your budget to help you upgrade your bathroom or kitchen with cabinets that increase your home’s value.
For 20 plus years chuck has been helping homeowners make decisions on how to bring new life into their kitchens. Most homeowners know what they want but don’t know how to communicate it. When chuck does the in-home consultation he draws from the client and uses his expertise to help them bring their imagination to life (achieve the look they imagine.) Chuck dubs himself a “professional mind maker upper.”