Are you thinking about getting new cabinets? The hefty installation cost can be daunting, but cabinets are one thing you don’t want to want to cut corners on.
Quality cabinets are always worth it in the long run, and in this article, we’ll tell you why. Keep reading to learn all about:
We’ll cover each topic in more detail.
Cost to Install New Cabinets
In Arizona, the cost to install new:
- Kitchen cabinets can range anywhere from $10,000 to over $50,000
- Bathroom cabinets range between $1,500 and $9,000
- Laundry room cabinets can range from $1,200 to $7,000
Your installation costs can increase with:
- The size and number of cabinets
- Higher-quality cabinet materials (base material, finish, hardware, etc.)
- Customization features (organization, molding, additional upper cabinets. etc.)
- Hiring better-quality cabinet installers
In our blog, you can learn how much new kitchen cabinets cost and more about the cost of custom bathroom cabinets.
Now that you know the cost of new cabinets, we’ll review why the investment is almost always worth it.
Why You Shouldn’t Buy Budget Cabinets
If you’re an experienced DIYer, you’re probably thinking you’ll save a lot of money installing cabinets from your local home improvement store. While buying budget cabinets will save you money on the upfront installation cost, it usually costs you more over the cabinets’ lifespan.
The cost to install budget (pre-fabricated) or semi-custom (budget with more customization options) cabinets is normally 2–3 times cheaper than custom cabinets. Still, custom cabinets can last up to 4 times longer than budget cabinets.
In addition to a shorter lifespan, budget cabinets have quite a few downsides, including:
- Limited customization capacity. Budget cabinets limit you to what the manufacturer has available, usually designed around what most buyers need. That means if your room needs a lot of specialty organization or sliding racks for more oversized items, you’ll either be stuck with generic cabinets that don’t work for you or need to pay more to install the features separately. If you choose custom cabinets from a company like Cabinet Coatings, we’ll sit down with you to design your cabinets, so they meet your unique wants and needs.
- You can’t choose your style and finish. With budget cabinets, you’ll be able to choose from a few finish and style options. But again, the few options available are designed to please the general population. This means you won’t have as many options as you would if you go with a cabinet company that custom designs your cabinets for you.
- You won’t get long-lasting, professional-quality work. Most prefabricated cabinets are engineered wood (plywood, particle board, or MDF), usually lasting 15–20 years. Custom, solid hardwood cabinets, on the other hand, can last more than 50 years. Although budget cabinets are cheaper to install, you can easily pay for new budget cabinets 2–3 times before replacing custom cabinets once.
- You won’t get guarantees on the cabinets. If the finish on the budget cabinets starts chipping or peeling soon after installing it, the cost to replace the cabinets is entirely on you. (And with budget cabinets, you won’t have to wait very long before the finish starts going.) At Cabinet Coatings, we guarantee that the finish we apply won’t chip, crack, or fade for 5 years after installing your cabinets. If it does, we’ll come back and fix it!
If you’re hesitant to foot the bill for completely remodeling your cabinets, you have options for updating your existing ones (if they’re in good shape).
Alternatives to New Cabinets
If you’re looking for a cabinet refresh without having to remodel them completely, and your cabinets are still in good condition, you can choose either a:
- Cabinet refinishing: The professional removes the existing finish from your cabinet boxes, drawers, and drawer fronts so they can apply the new finish you chose. This is the better option if you like the look and feel of your existing cabinets but just want to change or refresh the finish color.
- Cabinet refacing: Includes everything in a refinishing, but you’ll also get brand new panels (doors and drawer fronts). This is a good option if you also want to change the style of your cabinet panels, which can have a surprisingly dramatic effect on your space. Plus, at Cabinet Coatings, we give you panels made of solid hardwood, which last much longer than the cheap plywood or particle board ones that other companies often use.
Want New, High-Quality Cabinets? Call Cabinet Coatings Today.
Schedule an appointment online or call us at (480) 641-9611. We’ve been installing quality custom cabinets in the greater Phoenix area for more than 30 years. Our finishing pros will talk with you about the kind of cabinet customization you’re looking for, then give you a free in-home or virtual consultation that same day. We’ll help you bring your dream kitchen, bathroom, or laundry room to life.