Want a more modern look and feel for your kitchen? We’ll go over 5 ways to modernize kitchens:
- Change the cabinet hardware
- Install new appliances and fixtures
- Add a backsplash
- Change the cabinet color
- Install ambient lighting
Want a free quote to modernize your kitchen cabinets? Contact us online or call 480-641-9611. One of our cabinet experts will come to your home for a same-day, no-obligation quote to refinish or reface your kitchen cabinets.
Change Cabinet Hardware
Updating your cabinet hardware is one of the easiest ways to modernize a kitchen. It’s also an easy way to spruce up your cabinets and give them a fresh look.
When choosing new cabinet hardware, make sure to consider:
- Your kitchen’s theme. Like the cabinets themselves, cabinet knobs and handles come in different styles and materials that go well with certain themes. For example, sleek brass or stainless steel pulls will look better in modern kitchens than dark ornate pulls.
- Coordinating fixtures and appliances. Cabinet pulls should go well (not necessarily match) with the appliances, plumbing, and lighting fixtures in your kitchen.
- Mixing and matching pulls and finishes. Want knobs on upper cabinets and handles on lower cabinets? Or brass handles on drawers with silver knobs on doors? Mixing metals and styles can be a great way to bring your unique style into your kitchen.
Learn how to choose kitchen cabinet hardware to match your decor in our blog.
If you’re updating hardware, you may want to also think about changing appliances and fixtures to match.
Install New Appliances and Fixtures
New appliances and fixtures are an investment, but usually worth the cost in the long run. Plumbing and lighting fixtures especially can be a relatively easy way to modernize kitchens.
You could install fixtures and appliances that have:
- A sleek, modern look. You’d be surprised by how new appliances and fixtures modernize a kitchen. Upgrading from ornate, frosted light shades to lights that have a sleek structure or clear shades can transform the look of your kitchen. Going from dated white appliances to black or stainless steel can have the same effect.
- Feature upgrades. Installing touch-sensitive faucets or an oven that has all the bells and whistles will be helpful to you now and will look attractive to potential buyers if you ever decide to sell your home.
Like the sleek look of stainless steel appliances? Discover the best cabinet colors for stainless steel appliances in our blog.
New appliances can also be a good time to add a backsplash.
Add a Backsplash
Backsplashes add texture to your kitchen while protecting walls near the sink from water damage.
Many people choose tile, but you can also have backsplashes made from:
- Stainless steel or copper sheets
- Natural or painted brick
- Shiplap or wood
- Painted glass
- Marble slabs
Want quick, easy installation? Most home improvement stores sell peel-and-stick backsplashes that you can install yourself.
Make sure your new backsplash goes well with the cabinet color you have or are planning to go with.
Change Cabinet Color
Wanting a fresh, modern look is a great reason to change your cabinet color.
Our cabinet experts recommend 2 ways to change your cabinet color:
- Cabinet refinishing: This involves removing the existing finish from your cabinet boxes, doors, and drawer fronts and applying the new one of your choice.
- Cabinet refacing: Also called cabinet resurfacing, this includes everything in a cabinet refinishing, but you’ll also get brand new cabinet doors and drawer fronts. Better quality cabinet companies, like Cabinet Coatings, will give you solid hardwood doors and drawer fronts—which are more durable and last longer than ones made from engineered wood.
Need a little inspiration? Check out this year’s top kitchen cabinet color trends.
If you’re happy with your cabinet color but want to bring a little drama to your kitchen, consider ambient lighting.
Install Ambient Lighting
Ambient lighting is one upgrade that makes your kitchen both more practical and more beautiful. By installing above- or under-cabinet lighting, you’ll:
- Make your kitchen brighter. Under-cabinet lighting gives you more light in areas where you’ll need it—like stoves, countertops, and sinks.
- Save on electric bills. Ambient lighting uses less electricity than regular overhead lighting, which means your utility bills will be less when using ambient lighting.
- More dramatic, adding more warmth and depth to your kitchen. Under-cabinet lighting is great if you want to show off a backsplash or countertop decor.
You can choose between 3 types of under-or above-cabinet lighting:
- Strip lights: Also called linear lights, these are long, thin boxes of bulbs that work well under or above long lengths of cabinets.
- Puck lights: Great for small spaces, puck lights are small sets of usually 3 or 6 small, thin discs.
- Rope lights: Also called tape lights, these are very thin, flexible strips of LED lights that can add various lighting colors to long stretches of cabinets.
Ready To Modernize Your Kitchen Cabinets?
Schedule an appointment online or call us at 480-641-9611. Through a free in-home or virtual consultation, our finishing pros will give you options for modernizing your kitchen cabinets, helping you design the look and feel you’ve always wanted.
For 20 plus years chuck has been helping homeowners make decisions on how to bring new life into their kitchens. Most homeowners know what they want but don’t know how to communicate it. When chuck does the in-home consultation he draws from the client and uses his expertise to help them bring their imagination to life (achieve the look they imagine.) Chuck dubs himself a “professional mind maker upper.”